And then it all went tits up…

So it was all going fine then just after midnight the wireless connection was grinding to a halt. Looked at the box and for an embedded kernel it seemed to be doing an awful lot of disk writing. So after a reboot it was now dead and wouldn’t restart, failing to mount the root file system. By the look of something there was some corruption and it fried.

So, there I was until 4AM burning blasted CD’s with pfSense on and trying to find a CDROM drive that wouldn’t fail while reading them. Every time I got pfSense up and running again though and restored the backup it would fry. The backup was taken from the developer version though. So in the end I just had to leave it.

This morning I decided to take the XLS of the old backup and merge it with a new XLS backup, thankfully this worked and saved me reconfiguring the whole thing again from scratch.

It was until a few minutes ago very stable and stayed up for around 14 hours, then just now it kernel panicked and rebooted. I was playing around with netbios type stuff at the time though so may be that’s a clue. My windows netbook is still having an issue doing the name resolve so I think there still may be a firewall problem to solve, but I can access the share using the IP address no problem.

In other news I spent the day on AAC codec’s and got it to decode and work fine, I’m now working on the encoder bit.

Went to the gym and did two home checks for Hollyhedge. I’m now fairly knackered so still no wine, but I’m going to call it a night.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.